World Teachers’ Day is a day dedicated to honor and celebrate teachers all over the world. It was put in place by the United Nations’ specialized branch organization, the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), on October 5th, 1994. A theme is usually created to govern the focus of the celebrations by not only pinpointing the struggles educators face but by also raising them to governments to eliminate them.
Working as a teacher is a tough job because it is a job where you are required to deal with a variety of people with patience and tolerance even when you don’t feel like it. Appreciating the work that teachers do is the bare minimum we can do to keep them motivated.
In this article, we will show you some wonderful quotes you can share with others on World Teacher’s Day.
The Legacy of Teaching
Many of the great people we honor give credit to their teachers. A great percentage of a child’s life is spent in school, so a good teacher will help mold a student into a great person.
Most kids are usually happier after school because of the new experiences they get with their friends and the opening of their minds to new knowledge done by the teachers. When you see a child excited to learn, then the teacher deserves more credit. Such children gain great potential to change the world.
Figures like Barack Obama, Nelson Mandela, and Martin Luther King have countlessly gotten their leadership skills and wisdom from the great Indian teacher, Gandhi. Many other people, not just famous figures, thank their teachers for making them better people.
Being a teacher not only needs you to give your students mentorship. Sometimes they also mentor and push you to become a greater version of yourself. The interaction with different people gives you an open mind and trains you to also want to achieve limitless possibilities.
Great examples of such mentored teachers are Justin Trudeau- Canada’s prime minister, Gideon Moi- Kenya’s second president; and Lyndon Johnson, the thirty-sixth president of the United States.
Quotes on the Role of a Teacher
People usually only see the role of a teacher as attending classes, teaching, and then leaving. However, teachers do more than that. They educate, inspire, discipline, encourage, and mentor. We have shown you some quotes below that dwell on the important role of a teacher.
- People skills are necessary for a teacher to have because you’ll have to understand each student.
- Being a teacher is like being in a friendship. You have to establish trust for any cooperation to be present.
- A teacher who also takes up the coach role is the best gift a student can have.
- Being a teacher teaches you to be humble by putting the students’ needs before yours.
- Students will always see you as a stranger first. It’s up to you to show them otherwise.
- The small uplifting moments a student has with their teacher remain in their memories forever.
- Giving a student the urge to learn is making his/her life much easier.
- In school, teachers are the educators, police, therapists, and coaches.
Quotes on the Influence of Teachers
As we mentioned above, a great teacher will mold a great student. The influence of teachers can even sometimes overpower or add to a parent’s or guardian’s influence. Learning becomes effective and influential when the student is taught well at home and reinforced with knowledge at school. Here are some quotes on the influence of a teacher on a student.
- As a teacher, you are actively participating in the process of making the future bright.
- A teacher should realize that the future is not only in your hands but also before your eyes. It is alive before you waiting to be guided.
- All the good people in the world can be traced back to great teachers.
- Whatever you teach your students will always influence how they handle situations.
- Unlearning what was instilled in you at a young age is a hard task. That is the power of a teacher.
- You will find that most students’ behavior is rooted in what their teachers condoned.
- When your students know that you love what you do, they’ll love what you do.
- Influential teachers don’t just teach; they inspire.
Quotes from Famous Personalities about Their Teachers
Many famous people thank their teachers for teaching them valuable lessons that they carried through their lives. Here are some of their quotes about their educators.
- “What the teacher is, is more important than what he teaches.” Karl Menninger
- “A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.” Henry Brooks Adams
- “It is greater work to educate a child, in the true and larger sense of the world, than to rule a state.” William Ellery Channing
- “The greatest sign of success for a teacher … is to be able to say, ‘The children are now working as if I did not exist.’” Maria Montessori
- “If we teach today’s students as we taught yesterday’s, we rob them of tomorrow.” John Dewey
- “It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.” Albert Einstein
- “Teaching kids to count is fine, but teaching them what counts is best.” Bob Talbert
- “The test of a good teacher is not how many questions he can ask his pupils that they will answer readily, but how many questions he inspires them to ask him which he finds it hard to answer.” Alice Wellington Rollins
- “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I remember, involve me and I learn.” Benjamin Franklin
- “The mediocre teacher says. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” William A. Ward
Reflections on the Modern Teaching Environment
Teaching is a practice that has evolved over the years, from simply parents being the only teachers to someone, there being schools and colleges with professors and doctors. It is without doubt that the modern education system is much better. Here are some quotes that reflect on the modern teaching scene.
- The teachers of today are much better than ancient teachers because they take time to evaluate themselves too and are willing to accept correction from students.
- Modern education is what has defined the easiness of life.
- What was missing in making past education methods more effective was not the presence of better equipment but the ability to object and give feedback.
- Modern education has been able to open the minds of young people not just in gaining academic knowledge, but social and religious knowledge too. Previous ways closed up our minds to only localized thinking.
- Learning today requires more than hard work from a student. It fosters understanding, innovation, creativity, and critical thinking.
- Today’s teachers undoubtedly put in more effort and sacrifice making them more honorable than teachers way back.
- The community may not discipline some of today’s students, but that’s because school has been tailored to become their community.
- Modern learning is becoming more surreal every day. Students are more excited to go to school.
- In this age, people now understand that learners have different abilities and learning speeds. Students are not treated the same way and belittled when they fail. Instead, there is room for redirection in their learning choices.
- Modern learning is elite because of the presence of more subjects, new technology, and the new training of teachers to be more empathetic to students.
Inspiring Quotes for Teachers
Teachers do tough work every day and not many students or even parents notice this and appreciate them. They are sometimes even seen as the bad guys. But we have listed some motivational and appreciative quotes to teachers below that you can share with some of the educators you may know to brighten up their day.
- A good teacher is a gift, meaning that a teacher can be a gift and blessing to many.
- Few may notice your great job, but sending off good students is a reward to you and your future generations too.
- The teachers we always remember and are grateful for are those who chose to do more than teach us.
- Teaching is a calling only a few can handle. A teacher is a very special person.
- Being a teacher is the true ‘classy’ profession.
- Teaching is more than a career. It’s an art and a talent.
- All the blessings pronounced your way by the students you touch do come true.
Teaching is a very important job because it determines the state of the future citizens of a country. Many will agree that teachers are right next to farmers as the most essential workers in a country.
Great teachers have made influential people because they instilled discipline, motivation, and fearlessness in the facts they taught them. These influential people have then impacted the world. Poor teachers can also lead to the downfall of a country due to their release of unshaped people out to the world. Hence it is safe to say that a great percentage of how the future unfolds is controlled by the teachers’ responsibility with students.
However, many people have not yet realized how special teachers are. This is why teachers are underlooked by many, and unfortunately by governments too. This is why days like World Teacher’s Day were put in place to raise awareness of teachers’ challenges while also celebrating them for their dedication to shaping the lives of potential leaders.
Celebrate a teacher this teacher’s day and make them know how special they are.