Looking for pretty old-fashioned names for your little girl? These names are almost all vintage, but they don’t necessarily mean old lady names (well, maybe a few old lady chic names).
We like old-timey girl names despite not having anything against modern girl names. A hundred years or so ago, things (like names) came back into style. You can expect your grandparents’ or great-grandparents’ names to become popular again in the near future. Here are some beautiful old-fashioned vintage baby girl names to inspire your search for the perfect old lady chic baby name.
Starts From A
- Abigail: Originally from Hebrew, Abigail means ‘my father’s joy’.
- Ada: According to German roots, Ada could mean ‘nobility’ in Hebrew.
- Adaline: It means ‘noble kind’ in Old German
- Adelaide: Adelaide means ‘nobly natured’ in Old English
- Adele: The name Adele means ‘nobility’ and has German roots.
- Agatha: It means ‘good’ or ‘good woman’ in ancient Greek.
Starts From B
- Beatrice: The name Beatrice means ‘brought joy and blessing’.
- Barbara: The name Barbara means ‘strange or foreign’ in Greek
- Barbie: Another version of Barbara is Barbie, which means ‘foreign or strange’.
- Bea: The classic American girl name Bea means ‘blessed’
- Becky: In Hebrew, Becky means ‘moderation’ or ‘tying or binding’
Starts From C
- Camilla: ‘Camilla’ means ‘perfect’ in Italian and ‘acolyte’ in Latin
- Candace: Candace means ‘shining’, ‘pure’, or ‘sincere’ in Latin
- Carol: This English girl’s name means ‘free man’ or ‘strong man’
- Caroline: The Spanish meaning of Caroline is ‘beloved’ or ‘valuable’
- Carrie: Carrie is an American girl’s name that means ‘free’
Starts From D
- Delia: The Greek name Delia means ‘person from Delos’
- Delilah: The Hebrew name Delilah means ‘delicate’
- Delphine: The name Delphine means ‘dolphin’ in French
- Devon: I’ll choose Devon, which means ‘poet’ in Irish.
- Dinah: This Hebrew name for girls means ‘judged’
- Dolores: A Spanish girl’s name that means ‘sorrow’ is Dolores
Starts From E
- Edith: Old English name Edith means ‘riches’ or ‘blessed’
- Edna: The Hebrew name Edna means ‘gentleness, pleasure, and youthfulness’.
- Eileen: The name Eileen means ‘beautiful bird’ in Irish – how cute is that?
- Elaine: The name Elaine means torch, beauty, light, or bright in ancient Greek.
Starts From F
- Farrah: The Arabic name Farrah means ‘happiness’ and ‘joy’
- Fawn: ‘Fawn’ means ‘young deer’ in English.
- Faye: Old French name Faye means ‘fairy’
- Felicia: It means ‘happy’ or ‘lucky’ in Latin
- Felicity: The English name Felicity is translated as ‘good luck’ or ‘fortune’
- Fiona: In Scottish origins, Fiona means ‘fair’ or ‘white’
- Flora: ‘Floral’ is the Latin name for this plant
- Florence: In English, Florence means ‘blossoming with faith.’
Starts From G
- Gladys: The name Gladys means ‘royalty’ or ‘princess’ in Welsh
- Georgette: In French, Georgette means ‘farmer’.
- Georgina: There is a Greek girl name called Georgina, which means ‘farmer’.
- Gillian: Gillian means ‘youthful’ or ‘downy’ in English
- Ginny: Ginny means ‘pure’ or ‘chaste’ in English
- Glenda: Glenda translates from Welsh to mean ‘pure, clean, or holy’
Starts From H
- Helen: Helen means ‘shining light’ in Greek
- Henrietta: In English, Henrietta means ‘ruler of the home’.
- Hilda: Old Norse spelling of Hilda means ‘battle’
- Hillary: In Latin, Hillary means ‘joyful’ or ‘happy’ or ‘cheerful’
- Hope: It means ‘to wish and hope for something to happen’ in English.
- Hyacinth: In Greek, Hyacinth means ‘purple flower’ or ‘blue larkspur’.
Starts From I
- Ida: Ida means ‘work’ or ‘labor’ in German
- Imogen: The Celtic name Imogen means ‘maiden’
- Ingrid: Ingrid means ‘fair’ or ‘beautiful’ in Old Norse
- Irene: ‘Peace’ is the meaning of the lovely Greek girl’s name Irene
- Iris: The Greek baby name Iris means ‘rainbow’.
- Ivy: The Old English name Ivy refers to the plant ivy
Starts From J
- Jenny: Jenny means ‘fair one’ in Old English
- Jody: The Hebrew name Jody means ‘praised’.
- Joy: This adorable Latin name means ‘happiness’
- Judith: The Hebrew name Judith means ‘she will be praised’
- Judy: The Hebrew name Judy means ‘she will be praised’.
- Julia: ‘Youthful’ or ‘downy’ is what Julia means in Latin.
- Juliet: It means ‘youthful’ in French and English
- June: In Latin, June means ‘young’
Starts From K
- Kathy: Kathy – is an English variation of those names and means ‘pure’
- Kathryn: ‘Kathryn’ is a French variation of the same name meaning ‘pure’
- Kay: The Greek name Kay means ‘rejoice’
- Kelly: Kelly is an Irish name that means ‘warrior’
- Kimberly: Kimberly means ‘from a royal fortress’ in English
- Kitty: The English name Kitty has Greek origins and means ‘pure’.
Starts From L
- Lois: The Greek name Lois means ‘more desirable’ or ‘better’
- Lola: It means ‘sorrow’ and has German and Spanish roots
- Lorraine: The French word Lorraine translates to ‘from Lorraine’, a region in France
- Loretta: English name Loretta means ‘laurel tree’ and is an olden-day girl’s name
- Lottie: This cute classic French girl name means ‘little and womanly’
- Louise: An Old German name meaning ‘famous warrior’, Louise
Starts From M
- Mabel: The English girl’s name Mabel means ‘lovable’ in old English.
- Madeline: Means ‘high tower’ or ‘woman from Magdala’ in English
- Maggie: Maggie means ‘pearl’ in English
- Mamie: A pearl or a star of the sea is what Mamie means in Greek
- Marcella: Latin name Marcella means ‘young warrior’.
- Maria: Maria means ‘wished for child’ in Hebrew;
Starts From N
- Nadia: A cute Slavic girl name that means ‘hope’ is Nadia
- Nadine: In French, Nadine means ‘hope’ or ‘shower of blessings’
- Nancy: Nancy – means ‘favor’ or ‘grace’ in Hebrew and French
- Naomi: Naomi means ‘pleasantness’ in Hebrew
- Nellie: The retro girl name Nellie means ‘light’ in English
- Nina: The name Nina is of Spanish origin and means ‘little girl’.
- Nora: The Latin name Nora means “honor”
- Noreen: The Irish name Noreen means ‘honor’
- Norma: The English name Norma means ‘from the north
Starts From O
- Odette: The name Odette means ‘wealthy’ in French
- Opal: In Sanskrit, the word opal means ‘gemstone’ or ‘precious stone’.
- Ophelia: Ophelia means ‘help’ in Greek
Starts From P
- Phoebe: The name Phoebe means ‘bright’ or ‘shining’ in Greek.
- Phyllis: The ancient Greek girl name Phyllis means ‘foliage’
- Polly: ‘Polly’ means ‘sea of bitterness’ in English
- Poppy: Originally from Latin, poppy means ‘red flower’.
- Pippa: The name Pippa means ‘lover of horses’ in English.
Starts From R
- Roberta: This English female equivalent of Robert means “bright fame”
- Rosa: The Latin name Rosa means ‘rose’
- Rosalind: The name Rosalind means ‘pretty rose’ in English
Starts From S
- Sadie: Sadie is such a sweet, vintage baby name! English origins and means princess
- Samantha: The Hebrew name Samantha means ‘listens well’.
- Sandy: Sandy means ‘man’s defender’ in Greek
Starts From T
- Tammy: Tammy means ‘date palm tree’ in Scottish and English
- Tawny: The English word tawny means ‘golden brown’.
- Tess: The Greek name Tess means ‘to reap’ or ‘to harvest’.
- Thelma: In Greek, the name Thelma means ‘will’ or ‘volition’
Starts From V
- Vanessa: Vanessa means ‘butterfly’ in Greek
- Verna: The Latin word Verna translates as “springtime”
- Viola: The name Viola means ‘violet’ in Italian
- Violet: In English, Violet means ‘purple or blue flower’
Starts From Z
- Zelda: Originally a Yiddish name, Zelda means ‘blessed’ or ‘happy’
- Zorina: The name Zorina means ‘golden dawn’ in Slavic
There’s something timeless and charming about old-fashioned baby names, so they make excellent choices. The idea that these names have so much history appeals to me. At Getnamenecklace, we have this cute t-shirt for you and your little one coming soon. Not only for you and your coming-to-be daughter, but you can also buy for other important people in your life.
Choosing a more modern first name and a more classic middle name would make a great combination, so you could always choose something more modern for the first name. A custom wreath flower light truly represents the whole scene. Buy it soon so that when the perfect time comes, your choice should always be prominent.
What are some of your favorite vintage girl names? It would be great to hear from you! Comment below! For more baby name inspiration, check out other related posts.