How to clean sterling silver necklace
Compared with gold and platinum, silver necklace is a very beautiful jewelry. It is very cost-effective, so it is loved by women. However, many friends have found that silver cheap custom necklaces are prone to tarnishing, and may even turn black after being worn or left for a long time. So why does the silver necklace turn black? How to maintain and clean it?
Everyone may have seen on TV that silverware will turn black when it comes into contact with toxic substances, so silver chopsticks were used to test the poison in the past. But in fact, air, sweat, rain, detergent and other substances can cause silver necklace oxidation, such as oxygen, sulfur and so on. It is normal for silver customizable best friend necklaces worn or placed daily to come into contact with these substances to form an oxide layer, lose gloss, or even turn black.
In addition, the purity of silver necklaces varies with the rate of oxidative discoloration. The higher the silver content, the faster the oxidation rate of silver (99 silver). The oxide generally changes from yellow to red and then black. Standard silver has a slower oxidation rate than high silver (99 silver), and the oxide is generally black.
So, how to maintain and clean the silver necklace? Pay attention to the following points:
- The best maintenance method for silver jewelry is to wear it every day. Because the human body oil can produce a natural and lustrous gloss, it can also form a protective film to slow down the oxidation and blackening.
- Keep the silver jewelry dry, don't wear it when swimming and keep away from hot springs and sea water. Store silver cheap personalized necklaces in sealed bags or boxes whenever possible to avoid contact with air.
- Wash silver necklaces with toothpaste, or wipe with silver cloth to restore gloss. Silver washing liquid is the fastest and most effective way, but it is also easy to hurt silver necklaces. The silver necklace only needs to be immersed in the silver washing liquid for 1-2 minutes, and then rinsed with water to restore the luster. But it is not recommended to use silver washing liquid too often.
- Apply the correction fluid on the silver jewelry. Before the correction fluid is dry, wipe it with a cloth timely. This method is very effective and everyone can try it.
- If you have a carbonated drink like coca cola at home, you can also use it, put the silver monogrammed necklace in it, soak it for about 12 hours, and then rinse it to restore gloss.
- Using household vinegar is one of the common methods in life. We can use household vinegar to scrub silver necklaces or to remove the black marks on the surface of silver necklaces.
- Ammonia can also help the monogram silver necklace to achieve the purpose of removing black marks. If scrubbing with ammonia, the original gloss can be restored.